Friday, April 2, 2010

Your Backs to the Wall and You Say its Nothing Special

So it's Easter and this year I'm not overdosing on chocolate so much as Patti Smith merchandise, her dvd Dream of Life, record of covers, and book Just Kids.
As well as dreaming of 1960's New York, I keep seeing photos of Alexa Chung everywhere. I've been following her career since I first saw her when I was about 14 in a dolly magazine or something, little did I know that she would become the saviour of intellectual fashion as we know it. A well placed cardigan here, a brogue there, *socks with high heels, undone hair and the occasional biker jacket.
Alexa is by far my favourite creative around today.

*When I was in Vienna a few years ago while all my friends were stocking up on party dresses and tops from H&M, I spotted a pack of the most spectacular coloured ankle socks, and promptly bought two. I knew that the electric colours would be amazing once paired with some stacked high heels or the lime green Marc Jacobs heels that I'd just spent my savings on.
When we got back to the hotel and were asked what we'd bought one of my friends answered, ending with "and Sarah bought socks..." Ha! I'm so glad that trend took off, two years later the same girl came up to me and enquired how did I know about it?
I shrugged and said it was just a feeling.

picture credit: tfs

No comments:

Post a Comment